Monday, August 10, 2009

NFL Hall of Famer Bruce Smith and Fatherhood

Buffalo Bill-great, Bruce Smith, gave a stirring speech at his induction into the NFL Hall of Fame over the weekend.

Throughout his remarks, Smith spoke of the positive, life-changing influence his father had on him. Here are a few choice lines:

"He didn't tell me what it means to be a man, he showed me by example."
"Because I knew I was important to my father, I understood my significance in the world."

It is clear that the strength of this family helped them get through many struggles throughout Bruce's childhood.

Smith also spoke of his love for his mother, and his dedication to his wife and son. To his son he said, "Austin, my son, the unconditional love I have in my heart is like none other I have ever experienced before.... I am so proud of the respectful, empathetic human being that you have become. The path that you will follow in life is yet unknown, but I know this for sure; that your courage, intelligence, and strength in character will be your guiding compass."

A great fatherhood legacy is being passed on in the Smith family - from Bruce's father, down to him, and down to his son. It is a beautiful, powerful thing to watch. View his whole speech here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome many points of view and great discussion. However, please be aware that comments go through an approval process. The blog administrators reserve the right to not post or delete any comments that are not appropriate (ie: comments with obscene, explicit, sexist, racist or otherwise derogatory language), impolite (ie: comments containing personal attacks, insults or threats), dishonest (ie: potentially libelous comments), or are spam. Thanks for understanding!